Every year in New York City and throughout the state, there are several cases of pedestrians injured or killed by vehicle accidents. According to personal injury attorney Stafford Virginia, these catastrophes can be caused by:
- Lack of attention from drivers;
- Drive at a speed greater than recommended and miss traffic rules and regulations;
- Drivers who make a turn to yield to pedestrians on the lines marked as a pedestrian crossing; and
- Drivers who drive their vehicle while intoxicated or under any other substance outside of their sobriety status.
In the category of drivers who are distracted or have some lack of attention on the road while driving, there is a large percentage of those who lose attention by mobile devices such as cell phones that distract drivers either because they start talking on the phone, send text messages or email, says personal injury attorney Stafford Virginia.
The New York City Study on Pedestrian Safety 2010 reveals interesting facts that highlights the problem of vehicle / pedestrian accident:
- Pedestrians account for 52% of traffic fatalities in New York City from 2005-2009
- Pedestrians are 10 times more likely to die in a traffic accident than a vehicle occupant.
- Accidents in which a pedestrian or pedestrian has died have been seriously injured, 27% of which is due to the driver failing to yield.
- Severe pedestrian accidents involving speeding while driving are doubly more deadly than any other accident
- The lack of attention of the drivers was cited 36% in the cases of crash where a pedestrian has died or has been seriously injured.
These are just some of the alarming facts, says a reliable injury attorney Stafford Virginia. Here is an example of personal injury case:
An 84-year-old man fell on the ice as he walked to the corner cellar for a coffee in February. A month later, he still suffers from back pain. This winter has been especially brutal for pedestrians, the elderly and children, and shows no signs of ending soon. Hospital emergency rooms are full of people with sprains, broken ankles and arms, and even more serious brain contusions and back injuries.
If you slip or fall on snow or ice, then you should not ignore your injuries even if you feel fine at the time of the incident. This is because they could easily be more serious than you think if not now then probably in near future, especially when you hit your back or head. You should go to the emergency room or an urgent care center and then contact an accident or personal injury lawyer. Even if you fail to timely document the incident, a reliable injury attorney Stafford Virginia can still help you to receive the financial compensation you deserve. However, you can do important things to help prove your case:
- Make a note of the location of your accident.
- Tell a friend to take pictures as soon as possible, as the ice may melt or the snow may be cleaned after your accident.
- Identify possible witnesses and obtain their contact information.
Injury Attorney Stafford Virginia – call us at 888-437-7747.